Thursday, June 03, 2010

Breaking Up With Ebay


My love affair with ebay has been over since the big 2008 restructuring, yet I have hung on tenaciously, perpetually hoping that this change, or that one, would restore balance to our relationship. Then in March 2010 they announced that all sellers, whether they offered Buy It Now listings, maintained a store, or conducted auctions would get equal visibility. Right on cue the sultry voice of Etta James crooned "At Last" in my ear as I waltzed around my office intoxicated with joy. So much joy, in fact, that I sprang for a premium store.

Never mind that previously I had been promised the moon for having a Top Rated Seller Badge only to wind up with not even a crumb of green cheese. But really, I asked myself, what did a tiny betrayal like that matter in the larger framework of love? Nothing! Just a little blip. Ebay had erred and was now ready to attone. Besides, ebay and I had a HISTORY. We'd connected immediately the first day I opened my store and within no time were a power couple. I even had the little icon to prove it.

But enough of the past. Launch day was in April, so early that morning I fired up the computer. Voila! Three nice sales rained down like a fountain of champagne. "We're back!" I shouted over the phone in my husband's ear. "WE'RE BACK!" Yes, we were back all right -- for about three days and then we really fell back -- to nothing. I downgraded to a basic store and waited out the rest of the month. Had it not been for a three volume history of Martha's Vineyard and a collection of WWI pamphlets it would have been the worst month in my history with ebay. As it turned out, it was the second worst month.

At first I was shell-shocked. Then I sprang into action, typing in my own book titles only to be informed that there were zero copies. A little message flashed to alert me of a close match, then disappeared, sending me down, down, down past the list of ads where I discovered that it was actually an EXACT match and -- are you surprised?-- it was MINE. And so, just like that, ebay and I broke up.

My feedback and my Top Rated seller ribbon are still there because ebay gives you 30 days to reconsider. But truly there's nothing to reconsider. The fact is I'm tired of the endless changes and rules, the stress, the rising rates billed as the lowest ever, the betrayals both large and small, and the paternalistic attitude that sapped the lifeblood out of what had once been fun.

Besides, I'm already seeing somebody new. It's not serious yet, but I am reasonably committed and hopeful, if for no other reason than the fact that this one at least has a sense of humor!

2 comments:

dawt said...

I could not have said it better, Tess. I, too, miss the fun of selling the old eBay way!

tess said...

Isn't that the truth? It was the best! But I don't miss this ebay at all and I'm sure it doesn't miss me either. I think their business model changed and there just isn't room for the small independent stores these days. Fortunately, there's a zingy new site called Bonanzle which I am flirting with at the moment. :-)

tess