Thursday, September 09, 2010

Customers Calling! -- The Phone and Online Selling



Sometimes we believe things which may or may not be true. I have always believed that good books sell and I still do, which is why I am so anxious to GET some more! I did, however, acquire a nice one Wednesday, listed it yesterday, and sold it within a few hours. Yes, HOURS, which gives credence to my core belief about the saleability of good books even in a bad economy. The buyer was a lovely lady who collects pre-1880 books about housekeeping and etiquette, so mine, published in 1879, just barely squeaked in under the wire. What's interesting is that this book hasn't as yet been scanned by the purveyors of print-on-demand, a fact worthy of classification as the eighth wonder of the world! But let’s not tell them, okay?

Part of what made this such a great sale was the fact that the buyer phoned rather than ordering online. I know a lot of dealers don’t enjoy communicating with buyers by phone, but I love it and always have. I have four who call fairly regularly – a collector of Masonic titles and memorabilia from Philadelphia, a Civil War buff from Kentucky, a female Civil War buff from West Virginia, and a local with a passion for Russian royalty and expensive jewelry. It’s FUN to develop relationships with customers, listen to their stories and interests, share a laugh or two, and wish each other well -- shines up the day brighter than the gilt edges of an Easton Press title. And besides, this particular customer’s call, coupled with the quick sale mentioned above and our ensuing conversation on etiquette, provided me with a made-to-order blog post!

Talking with customers by phone does much more than add a little zip to a quiet, bookish existence though. By personalizing the transaction you open the door to the creation of repeat customers and provide yourself with a golden opportunity to jot down wants and interests so you can offer the caller first dibs on something you acquire later. You can even (charmingly of course) suggest compatible titles from your stock which can lead to multiple sales on the spot. AND it isn’t only you who wins – the buyers do too because they know you’re a “real person” and all they have to do to reach you is pick up the phone. In a world where bookselling has degenerated into the mere listing of ISBN numbers on an impersonal screen, a listed phone number subtly imparts security and credibility and separates you from the run-of-the-mill seller, especially if you are selling on your own website and are not huddled with the pack under a Big Name umbrella. This may be unfair, but I tend to bypass sellers I can’t phone, and as a result, have our number blazing across the top of our website. You’d think I was selling used cars.

Of course many customers are so used to the anonymous nature of online shopping anymore they wouldn’t call you if your number flashed brighter that a Blue Light Special at K-Mart. This wasn’t the case back in the "good old days”. (Oh listen to THAT, will you? I sound like I ought to be dusted with Pledge.) But, truly, when we first opened our business people called all the time to give us their credit card numbers. These days paypal rules and many sites have turned independent dealers into drop-shippers, but, even so, I still take enough cards to make it worth keeping the account open. So if it’s all the same to you I’ll just leave it at that and not spoil a beautiful day with a rant on bookseller autonomy.

In the end, if you really, really, REALLY would rather be hung by your toes on a clothesline than talk to the customers, forget all of the above. Customers have a sixth sense about this stuff and will sniff out the truth faster than a drug dog. I remember once calling a seller with a listed phone number to place an order and was greeted with, “WHY are you calling me? Can't you see that you can order online!” followed by the mighty crash of the receiver braining the console. Not only did she lose my vote for Miss Congeniality, but even worse, I remember it every single time I see one of her listings. And get this -- it was ten years ago.

3 comments:

~Tonja~ said...

Sounds like you got a good thing going with using your phone number...
never really thought about it like that...now days everything is online
I like the more personal touch...might have to think about this idea for myself....Thanks for a wonderful eye opener post....
Have a Blessed day...
Tonja

bowler140 said...

Just a question. Do you have an 800 number or do they call you collect? Just wondering.

tess said...

Good question! No, no 1-800 number -- just my regular land line number. And I don't do it collect, but it doesn't matter anymore because people so rarely pay for long distance calls separately. I don't think it's worth the extra expense.