Friday, July 08, 2011

Are We Having Fun Yet?


Well, THIS is disappointing! Those of you who have been around since last summer when I revived this blog after two years of silence may recall my elation when my neighborhood held a nighttime garage sale that exploded into one giant street party. Medina’s Finest were screeching through bull horns about not blocking fire hydrants and writing tickets faster than they could pull them off the pad. So of course after that much fun and frivolity I was revved up like the engine of a Lamberghini for this year’s extravaganza. All day Wednesday I practically hung out the window of my office (the Magical Makeover remains in progress) watching as cars and trucks showed up hours in advance. But it didn’t take long to realize that there weren’t nearly as MANY cars and trucks even though the weather was so good it’s like we’d borrowed it for the day from Nantucket.

Six o’clock was game time, so Eric rolled in the driveway at a quarter ‘til and we were out on the street in ten minutes flat. It’s not that I expected to buy all that much. Last year I bought a basket, a huge bunch of ribbon for gift baskets and a vintage booklet about the Panama Canal and Eric bought a big kite to fly with Tyler and some other guy thing that I can’t remember. No, it wasn’t at all about buying stuff because I don’t even LIKE garage sales. What I like is the energy of this particular one. In case you didn’t pick up on it, I’m something of an excitement junkie. So imagine my let-down when we could actually stroll unimpeded down the street. If I’d wanted to stroll unimpeded down the street I’d have put on my ugly tennis shoes and taken a serious walk. No! This was supposed to be party-time. As it turned out, I bought a basket, one roll of ribbon and a white turkey platter to replace the one just like it that I broke last Fourth of July and Eric bought a blah rocking chair for the porch of the store. We were back in our kitchen making spaghetti for dinner in just under forty-five minutes, he having spent a whopping $20 to my $5.25.

So now I’m wishing for a good estate sale, but apparently that’s not happening either. The Akron paper shows three, two of which are not even in the ball park. One of them says books, but I’m getting weary of this particular company. Always they have books and always they’re “priced reasonably”, but what they mean to say is that they're actually junk which they have to price high because in the estate sale game you work with what you have. At any rate, my desire to slap make-up on my face at six o’clock this morning and wait for hours to inspect this high-priced junk waned considerably. So that leaves us with one more sale tomorrow.This company, too, goes wacko if they get an old book and from the sound of things they don’t have very many, so it will no doubt be Wal-mart quality at Tiffany prices. I vote for not going, but Eric wants to look at some non-book stuff for the store so I’ll probably colorize myself after all and go along for the ride. The deal is though that we have to go to The Nervous Dog for breakfast afterwards because I bought a groupon coupon for it, and then stop at the antiques mall so I can reload my shelves after a very satisfactory week there. Which, I might add is a  good thing, because once the holiday ended, buyers seemed to slouch off the internet like it bored them out of their skulls.

On a brighter note, Eric installed a new light fixture in the ceiling of my office and painted the new closet door. He is also – and this is huge – taking off the ENTIRE DAY tomorrow, so we can work on the office unimpeded for hours at a stretch. That is, of course, provided that I go to the estate sale. The immediate progress of the Magical Makeover it would seem hangs on the end of a mascara wand.

No comments: