Monday, February 07, 2011

The Little Bookshop That Grew

Snow, snow, and more snow! Usually I like winter best, but this year I’m ready to trade in fireplaces, afghans, my new winter coat, and even homemade soup for an endless ribbon of dry road. Even though northeastern Ohio didn’t get slammed nearly as hard as other areas have the weather's certainly taken a toll on business. For the first three days of February I sold NOTHING at the antiques mall (unheard of!) and one of those days they didn’t even open. Not that I blame them – that day it was more like popping wheelies than driving. Saturday and Sunday things returned to normal, but now there’s lost ground to be made up and- -- ACK! -- it's snowing again as I write this.

Friday Eric and I hauled the new bookcases over and  immediately unloaded one of the original ones along the back wall. We wrestled it out (well, Eric wrestled and I played navigator) and guided in the new one only to realize that the new ones aren’t as wide as the old and wouldn’t completely fill the back wall -- which meant of course that we had to exchange bookcases once again and reshelve all the books. From there it was easier except for the fact that Eric had to keep stopping to talk to all the store customers who came by. I am amazed at how many times we’ve been there and he’s run into one of our store regulars. Though a nice diversion, it kept us at our job most of the morning. We rearranged the furniture, took away two small temporary bookcases, reoranized the books,which meant moving lots of them, added a ton of new stuff and cleaned the whole thing with Pledge and the vacuum cleaner. Eric even touched up a couple nicks on the new shelves with a dark stain.

The sight of that booth all spiffed up with ROWS of new books made me dizzy with joy as if I'd spun in circles and fell down flat. In fact, I was so excited I forgot to take a picture and didn’t remember until we were having a late lunch at Panera (do try that new Thai salad if you like spicy food. Heaven in a bowl!) By then Eric had had it with the mall, so we went home, fired up the gas-log fireplace and sat down in the middle of the day and read our books – he something by Harry Turtledove and I the very weird, very quirky new novel Her Fearful Symmetry which lured me in despite my protests that it wasn’t my thing. Anyway, forgetting to take the picture is my excuse for tardiness here. I’ve had so many excuses of late that the next time I’ll have to borrow Paula Danzinger's title The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, even though I lack both a physical cat and (thanks heavens!) a gymsuit. I actually met Paula Danziger once in a Westin hotel in L.A. when a telegram addressed to her was delivered to me. But that's another story.

In today's story we stopped back at the mall yesterday and got the photo above, but what should have taken a couple minutes dragged into a half hour because I could never find the booth empty of people. Yeah, how cool is THAT? I’m not complaining and I’m not gloating (well, maybe a teeny-tiny bit I’m gloating), but I do think the book gods will close one eye seeing as how I admitted that I’m not yet where I should be for the new month and none of the people bought anything while I was there. The little table in the front of the photo is the French one I got at the auction. I only wish I’d taken a separate picture of it because it’s the height of elegance. But it may well be that its prominent location trumps its Gallic charm. We took it over last Sunday and I immediate adorned it with a miniature antiquarian set of Ruskin and sold the set the very same day after it had sat  unloved on the other side of the booth for six weeks! What I really need though is a small, but sturdy chair (hear that, Cheryl?). I think it’s hard for people to see the bottom shelves which could explain why very little sells off them. But it easier to find a gold nugget under the lilac bush than it is to get a chair because, of course, the chair needs to be an antique.

Which brings me to something else. After we snapped the picture yesterday afternoon we decided to take a mini road trip to check out another large antiques mall that’s quite a distance away. We have friends who have a booth there and there’s also a volume book dealer who's been there for years. Of course now that we sell in a mall ourselves we regard other malls with new and knowing eyes. The first thing I noticed when we walked in was how much nicer our mall is – most likely because of the nothing-later than-1974 rule. As you may recall, I didn’t care for that restriction initially, but I have to admit that this purity is what makes the place sing. The second thing I noticed is that while the volume dealer does have some nice stuff, he or she may be struggling just as hard as we are to get a quantity of high end stock. We did, however, find two underpriced children’s books and bought both – one for the mall and one for online.

As I write this, a strange new thought I’ve had more than once keeps clamoring to be heard. I hesitate to even say it out loud, but here goes -- I think maybe I’m falling out of love with online selling.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

It looks fabulous! I think the baskets/boxes for the paper really work.

tess said...

Thanks! I do too -- there are a couple more smaller baskets over on a shelf that doesn't show completely in the picture. There does seem to be less buying of it, but who knows?
I still hate the rug and may just take it away, as I can't find one I do like that's not brand new.
And of course I need a CHAIR!!!

Anonymous said...

Really wonderful shelves. I love the photo and your incredible organization. And you even have a rug. Lovely. Wish we could shot there and check out the books. Well done, madame bookseller! gin

tess said...

Madame Bookseller thanks you. But rumor has it that she still hates the rug.

Saturday Evening Post said...

Ah,Tess,you have the chair. You wrote about it. It will still be your chair.
And the time spent with old customers needs no justification on the bottom line. Rather think of it as getting a little income while doing what you love.

tess said...

Ah, you must be referring to the purple chair. No,no, it can't be done!!!! I love that chair -- my office is being redone AROUND it. As much as I love the customers I absolutely must keep the chair.

You're right about the customers though. Eric should talk to them and he likes doing it. I was out of the loop though because I don't know the store customers. I'm never there when the store's open, so they don't have a clue who I am. Eric's the bookseller to them. I'm the shelver I guess!