Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Great Excuse To Buy Books Guilt-Free!


Happy National Buy A Book Day! Honest – I did not this make it up, though I might have had it occurred to me. The truth is it happened last year when rumors began flying that Border’s was in deep trouble. Philip Athans, author of (among other books), The Guide to Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction suggested it on the website Grasping for the Wind; Science Fiction & Fantasy News and Reviews. The directive was for booklovers everywhere to buy one new book, preferably by a living author in any genre and price range as long as the full sticker price was paid. Personal gain was to be set aside so that publishers, booksellers and authors would reap maximum profit and the future of the book supply chain would shine a little brighter in these dark times.

I had forgotten about this until I saw it on Twitter this morning. I can’t remember if I participated last year, but I’m going to this year even though I bought a book on feebay yesterday – a brand new catalog for an auction of Tasha Tudor’s historic costumes. Believe it or not, it’s not for me and it’s not for resale either. For once I actually (did the world slip off its axis for a millisecond?) bought a Christmas present well in advance, though I admit that there was no advance PLANNING involved whatsoever. I saw it and immediately thought of my friend Mary Lynn who has a prodigious collection of Tasha Tudor first editions to which this will make an interesting adjunct. But now I have to buy another book.

What shall I buy? My own wants are satiated having gone to the library last night and brought home not one, but FOUR, books I’ve been wanting to read, which is not only something of a record, but will provide me with much solace while Eric is off to yet another show, this time in Friendship, Indiana. I’m telling you, this guy is all about bright lights, big city. Anyway, I lugged home the following eclectic lot: Lit by Mary Karr, author of the harrowing The Liars’ Club; Round Ireland In Low Gear by Eric Newby; The Man Who Loved Books Too Much; The True Story of a Thief, A Detective and A World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett; and for sheer fun, Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews. I can tell you right now that the big screen high-def TV will be coated in dust this week!



The more I think about this though the more I feel inclined to stretch the parameters of National Buy A Book Day. I get the premise and I KNOW we need to keep the supply chain iron-strong, but used and antiquarian sellers need a break too. So I think I am going to buy TWO books, one new and one used. What would be great would be to add to my stash of Christmas presents which so far consists of the Napoleon Hill success book I bought for my daughter Caitie back in the spring and the soon-to-be auction catalog. I already know what collectible book I’m going to buy – I just have to figure out its title. Eric has been collecting the reprint set from the 70’s of the William Gilmore Simms Revolutionary War series. All he needs is volume eight and he has them all. Well, I had a look in volume one and it appears that the one I want is called Woodcraft. These babies haven’t been cheap when I’ve bought them in the past, but in today’s crazy internet world I might score one for a dollar. Who knows?

Now – the big question is, what should the NEW book be? I'm not sure yet, but it’s a good thing I have to buy online for lack of a bookstore in town, as the U.S. Postal Service just told Congress that it might be in default by the end of the month.

2 comments:

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

We appreciate your buying books and spreading the word about this awesome grassroots event!

tess said...

Happy to do it! It was great fun for a good cause.