Monday, June 18, 2012

Booking A Conversation



As usual, there’s been too much running around and not enough time for anything else. I had planned to post Friday after the estate sale we went to, but came home so demoralized I couldn’t bear to bore you with the awfulness of it. In a nutshell, this particular company has been raising their prices on books exponentially right at the moment when the future of  the printed book hangs in the balance. It’s interesting to me how all these years when books were a hot commodity I could pick them up at this company’s estates for $2-4 a volume and now when prices are tumbling for most titles they think they’ve joined the revolution!

To give you an idea of how truly bad this has gotten they had a mind boggling array of early hard cover Grace Livingston Hill and Emily Loring titles priced at $10 each. You can buy these for peanuts online ( though why would you want to?) and even less at sales where they pop up as frequently as dandelions. They also had a copy of an Akron title  --  A Centennial History of Akron 1825-1925 – which I’ve sold three times over the years at $45, $40 and (most recently) $35. Theirs? A ridiculously optimistic $45! I think perhaps what bothers me most is that every time they run an ad they brag about their “always reasonable” prices. I used to really like this sale, but I think I’m about done with it. I know I’ve said that before, but truly this is getting outlandish.

We had also planned to go to a second sale Friday night, a fancy one  with wine and food, but I couldn’t muster up any enthusiasm after wasting three hours in the morning. So guess what happens Satuday afternoon? I hear from my antiques dealer friend Darwin who tells me he bought five books on Oriental rugs for his own reference library only to find that one about Caucasian rugs, for which he paid $6,  lists online in the $200-300 range. I’m happy for him, but it’s possible that he just got lucky. Still, it I did make me wonder what else I missed. By the time we showed up on Sunday there was very little left. I bought three workaday titles for $2 each and will probably sell them in in the $20-25 range, so no big excitement.

I did, however, snag a gorgeous table for the antiques mall (see above). I got a tremendous deal on it and knew I could easily triple my money  at the mall, but now I don’t want to sell it. We took it home, put it in our formal living room “just to see” and immediately roots sprung out of its legs and through  the wood floor into the basement ceiling where they knotted themselves into an impenetrable snarl. So I guess that pretty much killed that idea. I did get an ugly chair, much like the other ugly chairs I sold in my booth (no, Saturday Evening Post, NOT the green ones), which is good because it gives people somewhere to sit to check out the lower shelves. Because of their extreme beauty, the GREEN chairs had been cordoned off – no sitting allowed.

So there was my weekend,  a rather strange one which made me think again of Linda, my bookseller friend who temporarily dropped out to have a knee replacement and never came back. Linda loved the estates and bought a good deal of her inventory there. Today you’re lucky to find an estate sale that advertises books at all  and when you do you have  to brace yourself before you can even think about entering  the fray. If estate sales were my primary source I’d sell maybe two books a month at this rate.

It probably seems to you that I'm awash in books anyway given the collections we bought recently, but I have been listing pretty steadily, so lately a sense of panic overcomes me when I see the pile in the office diminishing even AFTER the books I got with Cheryl last week. Remember, too,  that the one collection we got was comprised totally of Ohio titles which will sell in their own (sloooow) sweet time. Everything in me screams that the sale I told you about in Cincinnati will not be the golden event of two years ago, but I’m desperate enough to pay it no mind. I’m over the part about finding the rare magazines there, so it's not that. I know that was a fluke never to be repeated, but I’m worried enough about summer’s slower acquisition rate to book a hotel anyway.

I know I've been yakking about all of this for at least a year and hope I'm not boring you to death with it.  The only reason I bring it up today is that I'm wondering if maybe we could start a conversation here. I really want to know what you guys think! If you're a bookseller, or even a seller of vintage whatevers, please join in and let's talk. Antiques dealers and booksellers complain about the very same things these days -- acqusition is harder, prices are higher when you buy and lower when you sell, and the trend is away from both books and antiques. So, that being said, whadda ya think? Wanna talk?

4 comments:

Patrick said...

First of all, congrats on that fabulous drum table find! What a beautiful golden patina. And the gilt tooling looks like new!

Now, as to the hassles we face with regard to acquisition? I suppose we could blame the spike in online sellers, but I suspect that has more to do with flooding the secondary market with crud than to explain the dearth of really GOOD items. In fact, there are plenty of great things yet to find, but they are becoming more and more expensive. You almost have to go to auction houses. Or hone your insider trading skills
:-)

I also have the feeling people think they are becoming more savvy with the disposal of Aunt So-and-so's precious antiques. Thank you, Antique Roadshow...now please stick to carnival glass and decoder rings!

Nonetheless, a good, solid knowledge of books and their points will always score better finds than scanners, beepers and robots. We really have to hang in there.

Love your blog!

tess said...

Thanks, Patrick, for your comments, your apprecation of my taste in furniture, AND the comment on the blog. I think the point you make about there always being a market for good things is true and I AM willing to pay for them if I casn make money. I just wish they'd show up more often!

I think you hit the nail on the head about the market being flooded with junk coupled with the "savvy" of the people who watch Antiques Roadshow et al. Many times I have been called about the book "that was just on there" only to find that it missed the boat by several decades.

You're right. We can't afford to get down in the dumps, but it's hard not to when all you see is junk and more junk for sale at insane prices. When I do get good things I almost don't want to sell them for fear nothing as good will follow! It didn't used to be this way.

I think it helps us all to know that we are not the only ones facing these difficulties. Because we work alone so much it's very easy to loose perspective. Thanks for sharing -- I think your comments helped more than me.

Saturday Evening Post said...

A chair whose very chairness has been subjugated to it's purported beauty, is neither chair nor beautiful.
It is altogether fitting, that you prohibit sitting.

tess said...

Who knew you had such a philopshical bent? All I know is the one I have left is never sat opon. I treat it more as art (and occasionally a place to put clothes!)