Saturday, February 11, 2012

A "Gran"d Disappointment


If life were fair we’d be well on our way to Michigan this weekend in time for lunch at one of our favorite Ann Arbor eateries – the Cottage Inn. We first discovered this gem back in the late 90’s when Moira and Brian were undergrads at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. In those days there were two Cottage Inns, the main one in Ann Arbor and a secondary one in Ypsi  conveniently located on Washtenaw, the main drag, not far from campus. Oh, the delightful hours spent there over plates of pasta pignoli after basketball games when Earl Boykins, the  turbo-charged 5’3” star from Cleveland (second shortest player in the NBA after Muggsy Bogues) , cleaned house with whomever came calling.  Wine poured, glasses clinked,  and you waited for a table however long it took. But then a decade later the world changed somehow and that was the end of the Ypsi Cottage Inn, as well as the end of an era.

I could write a whole blog about this, but it’s really not the point, nor is Earl Boykins the point, though I still have a major crush on Earl Boykins even now. The point is that it looks like we woke up this morning encased in a snow globe. The wind’s howling, the white stuff’s blowing, and the temperature hovers ten degrees south of miserable. We called the kids at eight-thirty to say we’re still hoping to show up, but now I’m beginning to wonder if desire trumped reality here. It’s ten-thirty and it’s still not pretty out there. Well, it IS  pretty actually, but pretty isn’t the point either.
The point is we want to see the little guys for Valentine’s Day. I have their cards and presents wrapped and even hand-decorated the gift bags. Tyler at eight gets candy and a Target gift card, the latter because he told me over one of our 6 a.m. breakfasts-for-two  to please, please, PLEEEEEEEASE never, ever, EVER give him money.

“If you do, Gran, my mom and dad will make me put some in the bank. If you get a gift card they can’t.” Micro-Economics 101 delivered with a grin! Of course I pinky-swore on the spot that I wouldn’ even consider cash and, in fact, if necessary, would walk to Target in a blizzard to avoid it. If you don’t already know this, involvement in conspiracies is one of the major perks of grannyhood!
Two year old Dylan gets a little panda and a pop-up book. Right now small stuffed animals – he calls them “the babies” – and board books are an obsession. So I think Gran and Papa scored big on those. The funny part is he calls us both Papa. ALL  the oldies are Papas.

Anyway, getting back to the weather, it’s so miserable I didn’t even wrap orders this morning, but that might have been an excuse too since the post office branch at the grocery store is only a mile up Rte. 18 which is reasonably clear -- at least I think it might be. All I know is that for one rare day I have actually traded my bookseller hat in for my granny hat. Though of course I never actually wear a hat because  I’d rather freeze than get hat-hair.

Vanity, thy name is GRAN.

P.S. Eric  just returned from a trial run down Rte. 18 to Interstate 71 to  Rte. 3. The verdict, he informs me, is as clear as the icicles hanging off the gutters on the screened porch– no way, Jose!

P.S. Again -- Wow! I'm over 10,000 page views! Amazing. I actually stuck with the second incarnation of this blog. Maybe that novel could happen yet. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh grannie, I feel your pain! I packed boxes and shipped them off. I did send money in the valentine cards but not for birthday's this month. I love that he told you that. My 7 year old LOVES coins. He will have to change his bill for coins with a grown-ups help!

Sorry you will miss this weekend. Maybe next weekend? Happy Valentines Day to my favorite blogger. HUG gin

tess said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! I think this post will be most appreciated by the grannies! But I did toss in some basketball -- and food --that might help! It's funny how the kids like coins, or small denominations, most. Quantity trumps quality! Hugs back.

Hilda said...

I'm glad to know about the granny conspiracy angle. I am a new grandma of a little boy, five months old.
I heard about the terrible weather in your neck of the woods. In Kansas we have the bitter cold but no snow.
I enjoyed hearing the wonderful reasoning of the older boy - no cash because I don't get the maximum benefit of it. We can outsmart Mom and Dad if we do it this way. Great!
Thank you for taking the time to write this blog.

tess said...

Hilda, you will love being a grandma. I wasn't one of those women who think it has to happen right this second or they can't stand it. I figured it would happen when it happened, and while I was happy about it, I wasn't nuts either. But then they came and that changed everything. It's different than having your own kids. Both are good in different way, but there's such a sweetness in being someone's grandmother. Enjoy it -- they grow up too fast.

Hilda said...

Thank you. I had given up the idea of grandchildren since my daughter said they had decided not to be parents. Then she turned 30 and the next thing I know she's coming in saying they changed their minds and the baby is due in September. And here he is. And what a blessing.

tess said...

It's been known to happen!:-) I don't know whether I will have more or not (not from Moira and Brian for sure), but I've always felt that each person has to decide that question for themselves with no pressure from the wannabe grandparents. So I have never uttered a word. We can be happy either way, but it IS a wonderful blessing and I am grateful for it too.