Friday, February 24, 2012

The Hair of the Dog and Other Good Things


As I write this a giant snowstorm hangs over Chicago ready to come roaring our way. Actually, I don’t think it will amount to much in Medina, but the problem is that we are headed through western Ohio into Michigan Saturday so we can replay the lost Valentine’s Day with the little guys which, as you may recall, got snowed-out two weeks ago. There’s a chance the storm  will move in today and be out by tomorrow (the wind is howling like a banshee), but at the rate we’re going here the Valentine candy could wind up sharing space with the jelly beans in their Easter baskets.

The good news is I printed out the pages of my novel and there are about a hundred spread out over five chapters all of which I actually like except for chapter one. This is an unexpected good thing except that chapter one is the most crucial, as it’s the first read by an agent or editor. If they aren’t charmed within a couple pages the book is toast, so serious rewriting awaits. The other good news is Judy came to do the article for the newspaper about our business and participation in the book fair. Judy’s an old friend whom I met thirty years ago when she worked at the library. Later we were in a (now defunct) writers’ group together and spent losts of fun times speaking on the Ohio writers’ conference circuit. Yesterday’s questions were not only interesting, but encouraged me to talk about how I feel about bookselling, which is a little corny probably and maybe even embarrassing.  But I’m looking at it this way -- the inquiry came from a poet and will be written by one, so the result may transcend me. The photos, however,  are another story.

Anyway, all the ebay books I complained about in the last post have been dealt with once and for all. I spent a great deal of time giving several a new life and shining up the last ones in the door which were basically good but needing sprucing.  A few I gave to Eric for  the store, and one got sent back to its seller. I even adhered to the old adage about the “hair of the dog” and jumped back into the auction game. I do wonder whether this was wise, but I’ve bought some amazing stuff on ebay in the past and even in the recent past, so I I tried it again. I was on there maybe five minutes when a beautiful four volume hard cover centenary binding of Thomas Moore’s Irish “airs”  had my heart crooning like Bing Crosby. The books glow like emeralds (at least in the picture) and are ornately decorated. But of course time will tell the truth.

Yet another good thing is the book in the photo above which Eric bought for me at the Indianapolis show last weekend. It’s a signed,  numbered 1977 gun book that only had a print run of 1500 copies and is most collectible. In this instance the internet saves the day, as not many Ohioans collect, or even see, too many early California rifles.I knew he got me something, but didn’t know what because he frustratingly enough forgot to bring it home THREE nights in a row. But I nonetheless whirled and twirled at least once to express my pleasure with it last night. If you recall, for awhile there weapons were me, but not so much anymore. One at a time each book  departed and now as I look at that category I realize how few good things are left, which of course makes this book all the more welcome.
Okay, one more good thing and then I have to get back to work. I know you’re not enamored of magazines, but it’s been a magazine bonanza over here this week. I shipped them every single day since Monday, all ordered on ABE. These included six issues (complete run) of American Art Review; twelve issues ( complete run) of Journal of Aeronautical Sciences; two issues of The Spur to one customer; four issues (a complete run) of American Indian Art and one issue of Air Trails for a total of $189.
Just sayin' …

No comments: