Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Almost Two Years Later -- I'm Here

I knew I would not be winning any perfect attendance awards, but I was shocked when a.) I could not remember how to access my own blog and b.) I finally got on it only to find that the last time I wrote was September, 2008. Oh, the water under the dam since then! Or is it over the dam? I never can remember that damn phrase, but no matter -- I'm here now resolving to be more constant than in the past.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to catch up (like anyone remembers what needs catching up on). I am still a bookseller -- thirteen years now -- a writer finally dabbling with a novel, and Gran to a new baby boy named Dylan who just flew in from Korea on angel wings in April to join his big brother Tyler who somehow got to be six despite my fervent wish for him to stay small. Since I last wrote we also bought several large book collections, most of which are gone now, and I was asked to be a board member for NOBS, acronym for the Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society. The latter is so very pleasing to me, a sort of rite of passage which makes me feel less of a wannabe and more of a player in the world of serious bookselling.


Of course the world of books has turned on its ear since I last wrote, but then the whole WORLD has turned on its ear, so why shouldn't the book world keep it company? Sometimes I am as afraid as I was in September 2008 when I wrote the last blog about cooking for the kids running the Obama campaign here in Medina. But mostly I try to be hopeful about the world, the babies, the books and the future. That's all we can do I guess -- have hope, share both the bounty and the necessities, and enjoy life's pleasures even though there are e-books and free books, electronic readers and all sorts of new gadgetry that may put me out of business. I will comment on them later, but suffice it to say that for now I am happy to still be a bookseller of the "old school" with a little help from technology and my younger daughter's marketing degree -- which, I might add -- was paid for by the BOOKS.

So, anyway, I'm back and hoping to stay a little longer this time. There's always an endless pot of coffee -- black and hot the way God intended -- and endless things to talk about. So if anyone wants to join me please do. I'll even provide sugar and cream if needed.

No comments: