Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Peace, Harmony and Focus: Or Not Arguing With the Cat on Wednesday



Remember that old song with the line “Oh, what a difference a day makes”? Can’t think of what it’s called, but it’s my theme song today. The sun is shining, two nice Advanced Book Exchange orders came in overnight, yesterday’s mood quietly departed on sweet little cat feet, and once again all is well in my small corner of the book world. Part of this has to do with the fact that some wonderful books turned up last night out of the blue. I paid a lot for them, but oh, what lovely books they are. Another part has to do with something that arrived in the mail.

But first the books. One is a memorial of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the township of Wadsworth, Ohio. The second is an oversized tome called “Album De La Guerre” assembled by members of U.S. Base Hospital No. 4 serving with the British forces on the Somme front and the U.S. Mobile Hospital No. 5 serving in the Meuse-Argon sector as the first organization of American Expeditionary Troops to enter active service abroad in WWI. It’s a limited edition of 1000 copies with 500 photographs and 70 drawings.

But the one that most struck my fancy is the one pictured above. I have a great fondness for regimental histories and this one about the 10th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Army of the Spanish American War is terrific. I wish the condition were better, but it’s not terrible and the book has both an attractive cover and great information and pictures. But more than that, it brings along hidden in its pages a bit of book magic – a personal story all its own. I love when a book pulls away from the crowd like that – not just because it’s value may increase, but because it then becomes a voice, a presence, an affirmation that commands notice and respect in a way that no electronic book ever will.

In this case the book was owned by Lt. John P. Colwell who not only signed his name, but wrote his initials in beautiful script on the front free endpaper. Inside it gets even better though, as he clearly was part of the regiment and made penciled notes indicating same as per photo above on which he wrote the following, ”Not in this photo. It was made after I was transferred to 1st Div. HQ as Asistant. Eng. Officer.”

So yes,I’m madly in love with the books today. But I’m also amazed and touched by the thing that came in the mail. I’ve had many, many email thanks-yous over the years from customers, but only a few ever arrived via snail mail. Yet there amongst yesterday’s bills, Netflix movies, and circulars was a small, hand written flowered card. It says in part, “Dear Tess, Thank you for wrapping the very special book “Longing For Darkness’ Kamante’s Tales From Out of Africa” with great TLC and blue ribbon. Opening the package created excitement with a knowing that there would be no disappointments …” It closes with “Blessings of Peace, Love and Laughter to you.”

How did Whomever is responsible for such stuff know I needed all of the above at just that moment? I haven't a clue, but I very much appreciate it. And so today I am reminded of why bookselling matters in the 21st century and why I am blessed beyond measure to be able to do it. But there’s a lesson here too and it has not escaped my notice. Even on the bad days I need to take the focus off outcome and dwell happily in process.

In other words, do the work, stop whining, and be nice to the cat.

No comments: